Best Bilingual / Multicultural & Educational Television for Kids
These days there are a growing number of bilingual programs that teach language and cultural lessons to kids. Many more shows include diverse characters. Here is a list of some of the most popular kids television shows that promote cultural content with corresponding links to their webpages. We still have a long way to go, but we’re getting there! Gotta love Nick Jr. for leading the way. ;)
Children’s TV programs that embrace diversity
- Yo Gabba Gabba – African American main character (DJ Lance!). There is a variety of music and musical styles and celebrity guests, colors, animals, friendships, emotions, and more are discussed.
- Little Bill – African American main character, multicultural characters, cultural lessons, family dynamics like marriage, siblings, relatives.
- Dora the Explorer – Bilingual, Spanish; Latino characters. Educational and cultural lessons, friendship, exploring a variety of places.
- Go, Diego, Go – Bilingual, Spanish; Latino characters. Educational and cultural lessons, animal rescue and nature discovery.
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan – Bilingual, Chinese. Chinese American characters and cultural lessons, friendship, emotional issues like sharing and competition.
- The Backyardigans – Multicultural characters with diverse voices, cultural lessons and travel around the world, diverse music and dance, imagination and play.
- Sesame Street – Available in various languages, language and cultural lessons, educational, emotional issues, family and friends. This show spans the globe!
- Sid the Science Kid – Interracial relationships, the main character is ‘mixed‘! Discussion on friendships, special needs, science and discovery.
- Maya & Miguel – Bilingual, Spanish. Latino characters and cultural lessons, family and friendship.
- Handy Manny – Bilingual, Spanish. Latino main character and cultural lessons, educational, friendship, fix-it projects.
- Special Agent Oso – Bilingual, Spanish, some French and Italian. Cultural lessons, special needs, friendship, secret missions.
- Doc McStuffins – African American female main character. Helps children develop positive relationships with doctors and stimulates both emotional and academic learning.
If you liked this post…share it, tweet it, leave a comment. Aaaaaadios!