Chicken Tacos with Chunky Avocado Salsa
We eat chicken tacos at least a couple of times a week at our house. They’re a great easy recipe that takes very little effort to make. Chicken tacos are also a great dish that can be easily switched up by simply changing the seasonings you add to your meat or the toppings on your taco. It’s a really versatile dish that can be made over 100 different ways, depending on what you have in the kitchen.
For today’s recipe, we’re sharing our simple go-to chicken tacos recipe. This is the recipe we make when we want to whip up something effortless, and still have an amazing meal. It’s simple, but so incredibly delicious.
Fresh Produce Ensures the Best Chicken Tacos
One of the most important things to remember when making delicious tacos is to focus on fresh ingredients. Under-ripened or over-ripened produce is never going to produce the best taco. The more you buy fresh produce, the better you’ll get at figuring out what’s ready to use and what’s not. So use fresh produce often. There are lots of great tips online about how to pick the right produce, so be sure to look those up too. YouTube is an excellent resource.
We keep it simple and order our produce from a delivery service here in town. If you’re in South Texas, you can use this service too. They deliver all over the Valley.
If you’re interested in learning more about it, visit this link: Fruit at Your Door Produce Delivery Review
If you love great, healthy recipes and tasty food, you’ll love this chicken tacos recipe. My husband and I have perfected it together over the years and it has become a staple in our home. We eat them at least once a week!
Try them for yourselves! We’re sure you’ll love them.
Watch our Chicken Tacos with Chunky Avocado Salsa Video on YouTube
Chicken Tacos with Chunky Avocado Salsa Recipe
by Chantilly Patiño
Serves 4 (2-4 tacos per person)
For the chicken:
- 4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil (use as needed)
*In this recipe we use frozen chicken breasts. Please adjust your cooking time if you are using fresh chicken breasts.
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Sprinkle olive oil and then salt generously over both sides of each chicken breast.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and sprinkle half of garlic powder only on top of the chicken.
- Place on middle oven rack.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
- Flip chicken and sprinkle remaining garlic powder on the other side.
- Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Let chicken set until cooled.
- Place chicken breast in a large bowl and use two forks to pull apart and shred chicken meat.
- In a large saute pan, use a small amount of oil to saute diced onions until translucent.
- Add shredded chicken and cook until the edges of the meat are golden brown.
- Remove from heat and cover pan to keep in juices while preparing avocado salsa.
For the avocado salsa:
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 medium limes, cut into wedges
- Halve the avocados and remove the pits.
- Hold half of an avocado in the palm of your hand and then slice vertically and then horizontally to dice the avocados inside their skins.
- Scoop out the avocado cubes with a spoon and add to your mixing bowl.
- Next, finely dice 1/2 of a large onion and add that to your bowl.
- Cut the stems from your cilantro.
- Roll the leafy stalks of cilantro into a ball and finely mince.
- Make sure you chop the cilantro with your knife several times to release all of the flavor and aroma of the herb.
- Next, squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Season with garlic and salt.
- Stir thoroughly until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
Warm corn tortillas on a comal or in a skillet until soft and pliable. If you like, you can add a small amount of oil to the pan to make your tortillas even more flavorful (we do!). Fill tortillas with chicken and top with desired amount of the avocado salsa. Garnish with fresh lime wedges and a drizzle of salsa verde or serve with condiments of your choice.
Want to try this recipe another way? Consider topping your chicken tacos with a fresh mango salsa, roasted and sauteed poblano strips or with a heaping dollop of sour cream.