This post contains Amazon Affiliate links and product listings. If you don’t see our recommended products listed in this post, you may need to disable your browser’s add blocker.
Easy Cilantro Lime Rice
I love easy recipes and this is one of the easiest and quickest side dishes to whip up for a quick meal. It also tastes amazing and is super versatile, so it goes with almost any dish.
I know that making rice can be intimidating for some, especially if you haven’t made it in a while. Cooking it for too long means sticky or mushy rice, and not cooking it long enough means it’s hard and nearly inedible.
Timing your rice is super important. After making it so many times, I know that my rice takes exactly 22 minutes to come out perfect. I just set a timer on my phone and binge watch some Netflix while I wait.
That’s why I love making rice. You do all the prep, cover it and then “set it and forget it.” Just like baking…lol. You set that timer and you just wait. The results are perfect every time.
It Starts with Toasting the Rice
This super easy cilantro lime rice recipe is carefully prepared with garlic, onions, chicken stock and of course, plenty of fresh cilantro and lime juice. It’s a light, but flavorful recipe, perfect for a family dinner. It’s also great for storing and reheating next day for leftovers or as part of your weekly meal prep.
This recipe starts with toasting your rice, which add richness and gives the rice some texture so it can hold onto all of the delicious sauces or juicy proteins you’ll add to the plate.
You don’t have to toast it much to get the results you’re looking for. A light toasting goes a long way.
I usually add a pinch of salt as I mix in my chicken stock. Once covered, this warm, toasted rice is going to absorb all of those delicious flavors from the chicken stock and aromatic onions and garlic.
Cilantro Lime Rice is Super Versatile
This rice is perfect with a guisado, carnitas, pollo verde, buttery seafood or even a heaping ladle full of frijoles.
I personally like it with a hearty helping of slow cooker carnitas or shredded pork verde and a couple of fresh avocado slices. Sometimes I’ll even make a cilantro lime vinaigrette to drizzle over top of my rice.
It’s so easy, and so, so good! 😋
Recipes That Pair Well with Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro Lime Rice is one of my favorite easy side dishes. It pairs well with so many different flavors, especially when it comes to Tex-Mex recipes. Here are a few recipes I’ve shared on the blog recently that you can try at home.
Now, onto the cilantro lime rice recipe! If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to let me know how it turned out. I’m always excited to hear if you’ve enjoyed a recipe or see when you’ve shared your results.
Easy Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups 2 medium / long grain white rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth I just use 4 cups of water with Knorr Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 1-2 limes juiced
- salt to taste
- Add oil to a large skillet or pot and warm to medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté until nearly translucent.
- Add rice and garlic. Gently toast the rice, stirring frequently to prevent the rice or garlic from burning. You may need to reduce the heat a little. You should not hear sizzling.
- Once lightly toasted, turn heat up to medium and move everything to the outer edges of the pan to prevent burning. Immediately pour chicken broth to the pan.
- Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce heat to a LOW and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes. I usually do 22 minutes.
- Once your time is up, turn off stove and fluff rice gently with a fork.
- Let set for an additional 10 minutes with lid ajar. Add chopped fresh cilantro and lime juice. Mix to combine.