This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #CelebraConNestle
Eggnog Tres Leches Cake with Eggnog Butterscotch Sauce
Eggnog Tres Leches Cake is rich, decadent, and drizzled with my homemade Eggnog Butterscotch Sauce! This dessert is the perfect holiday treat to WOW your guests this holiday season. Pair it with our Eggnog Tres Leches Iced Latte for an experience you won’t soon forget!
Eggnog Tres Leches Cake with Carnation Milks
I’ve used Carnation products for decades. It’s something I get from my mother, who used Carnation in many of our favorite childhood dishes. Since I still use their products often, I was excited when they asked me to create one of my favorite holiday recipes using CARNATION® Evaporated Milk. So, I headed to Walmart to stock up on their new resealable containers of evaporated milk, which have become a pantry staple at our house.
Evaporated milk is such a versatile product. I always keep a few cans on hand so that I can enrich my favorite everyday recipes, like extra creamy sauces for fettuccine alfredo, and mac & cheese, or for gravies, smoothies, lattes, and even soups.
For today’s recipe, I chose a family favorite, Pastel de Tres Leches. This cake holds a very special place in our hearts. My husband and I aren’t huge cake fans, but we love Tres Leches Cake because it’s creamy, decadent, and a refreshing change from the typical cake recipe. Unlike most cakes, tres leches is chilled to perfection and served dripping with milky goodness.
Discovering Tres Leches Cake
On a trip to Detroit, while we were dating, my husband and I discovered an adorable Mexican bakery with the most amazing Tres Leches Cake. After returning home, I spent the next few weeks working tirelessly to recreate the flavors and textures we had experienced.
The final result was so delicious, that it easily became a family favorite and I was often asked to make it for family parties, birthdays and even potlucks. We loved the cake so much, that we even had our local baker alter the recipe to create a tiered version of the cake to serve at our wedding reception. Click here to see some of our wedding photos, including one of our gorgeous tres leches tiered cake.
It’s been such a magical experience sharing this special cake with our kids. Now we make Tres Leches cake several times a year; for birthdays, holidays and special occasions. The kids absolutely love helping us bake it during the holidays.
Over the years, we’ve come up with several different versions for the holiday season, including today’s Eggnog Tres Leches Cake, which is one of our daughter’s absolute favorites. Nothing says “Christmas,” like a sweet, indulgent cake, loaded with all kinds of eggnog goodness!
Eggnog Tres Leches Cake with Eggnog Butterscotch Sauce
If you’re an eggnog lover, you’ll absolutely love this recipe, which perfectly combines all the flavors and smells of the holiday in one truly incredible cake.
To start, I’ll let tell you up front, that Tres Leches Cake can be intimidating, but it’s absolutely worth all of the extra work. If you follow the steps outlined here, your cake will get you rave reviews from your family, friends, and co-workers.
While this cake might seem like it would be on the sweet side, you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find out just how refreshing it is. I’ve updated the recipe to account for the eggnog and adjusted the sweetness, so you’re left with a rich and decadent, but not too sweet dessert.
How to Make Eggnog Tres Leches Cake
To get started, I’ll be using my favorite eggnog, combined with CARNATION® Evaporated Milk , and Sweetened Condensed Milk to make up the “three milks” for this cake. Our Tres Leches Cake will then be topped with homemade whipped cream and a generous drizzle of my homemade Eggnog Butterscotch Sauce.
If you’re looking for the perfect dessert to impress your guests during the holiday season, look no further! This cake is the perfect luxurious treat for your holiday parties or to enjoy with a nightcap during movie marathons at home.
Tamales, café and a thick slice of eggnog tres leches cake is the perfect modern, but traditional meal to celebrate the holidays.
Scroll down for the recipe, plus a bonus Eggnog Tres Leches Iced Latte recipe using Carnation Evaporated Milk!
Find more recipes like this one on the El Mejor Nido website.
EGGNOG TRES LECHES CAKE RECIPE
Tools you’ll need:
- Hand mixer
- 3 large mixing bowls
- Large whisk
- Rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- 9×13 inch nonstick cake pan
Three Milks Mixture:
- 1 ½ cups (or 1 – 12oz can) of CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- ½ – 14oz can (about ⅓ cup) of La Lechera® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups of your favorite eggnog
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks for soaking in the milks (optional)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 6 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of almond extract
Homemade Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
Eggnog Butterscotch Sauce:
- ½ stick of butter (salted)
- 4 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of coarse/kosher salt
- ½ cup of eggnog
- Before you begin, make your you’ve left the unsalted butter and eggs out at room temperature for at least one hour.
- THREE MILKS:
- Start by mixing together the ingredients for your three milks mixture.
- Whisk together Carnation Evaporated Milk, sweetened condensed milk, and eggnog.
- Combine ground cinnamon and butter in a pan, bring to a boil. Let cool to room temperature and stir into your three milks mixture. Add cinnamon sticks.
- Set in the refrigerator to chill in a sealed container.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Cream together 1 stick of unsalted butter (room temperature), ½ cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of almond extract.
- Add egg yolks (also room temperature) one at a time until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on high until frothy.
- Slowly add ½ cup of sugar to frothy egg whites and beat until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, slowly fold the fluffy egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- While beating on low, slowly sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Continue mixing on slow until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15-20 minutes, testing with a toothpick or fork every 5 minutes. Remove from heat as soon as your toothpick comes out cleanly and no cake residue is left behind. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, pierce the top of the cake with a fork (as seen in the image above). This will help the three milks mixture to be absorbed into the cake, creating its unique texture and flavor.
- Pour the three milks mixture over top of the cooled cake until the cake is fully submerged. Cover and set in refrigerator to chill. Let sit for a least one hour before icing with whipped cream topping.
- WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:
- In a large bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, sugar and almond extract.
- Mix on high until peaks form and it has the consistency of whipped cream.
- Spread over cake in a ½-1 inch layer and place back into the refrigerator to chill overnight (leaving your cake to sit overnight will produce the best results).
- EGGNOG BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE (20-30 minutes before serving your cake):
- In a saucepan, melt butter on medium to low heat. Whisk in brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and eggnog. Slowly heat to a boil and maintain bubbling heat for approximately 1 minute, whisking continually.
- Turn the heat off and continue to whisk the sauce until it has cooled (about 10 minutes).
- Once the sauce has cooled to room temperature, pour into a mason jar or squeeze bottle to store. Use immediately for best results or refrigerate and warm before serving.
Eggnog Tres Leches Iced Latte
This rich and creamy drink starts with rich espresso and is combined with Carnation Evaporated Milk, sweetened condensed milk, your favorite eggnog and a warm drizzle of intense Eggnog Butterscotch Sauce.
Use this luxurious sauce to decorate the inside of your glass or simply drizzle it on top for a devilishly creamy and rich holiday drink.
Click here for the recipe: Eggnog Tres Leches Iced Latte