Image Credit: Flickr / (a)artwork
I’m into a lot of things. I write here and on Multicultural Familia, I’m managing editor at New Latina, a part-time web and graphics designer, community leader in various groups on Facebook, run four Facebook pages and Twitter accounts and work on countless other small tasks, all while being a full-time SAHM (stay-at-home-mom).
So how do I do it all???
The truth is that I don’t. Sometimes you’ll see that this blog is a little neglected or a Facebook group hasn’t been updated in four days. Where am I? Doing a million other things…or sometimes just vegging out with hubby and baby girl. I don’t think anyone really does it all, because adding one item to your agenda often means kicking something else off of your ‘to do’ list.
Most times, I think of life like a dandelion…yes, I said ‘dandelion’. There may be hundreds of ‘seeds’ that you are responsible for, whether they be a list of tasks to do, financial worries, people who are counting on you, whatever it may be. But, I think it’s important to remember that we sometimes have to let things go, leave things unfinished or walk away when other priorities are more important or demanding. In the same way that dandelions lose their seeds, we should also be willing to let go of our never-ending list of ‘to-dos’ once in a while. This is something that I am slowly working on and constantly readjusting in my own life, especially since becoming a full-time mom and blogger. So if you see that I haven’t stopped by here as often one week, just know I’m making my way back to you. ;)
For those who want to know how I try to create some semblance of balance (if I’m allowed to call it that) though, here is what my day looks like most times. Hopefully, I’m not the only one…lol.
A typical day at the Patiño house:
- Wake up and make breakfast for mija and hubby (if he’s not at work yet – he works varying hours)
- Respond to emails and update my social networks while Lily watches TV or a movie (this usually takes about an hour)
- Outdoor playtime with Lily (this doesn’t always work out everyday *sad face*)
- Drafting up a list of things to do…housecleaning, blogging, meal ideas for that night, etc.
- Start doing stuff and checking it off my list…housecleaning first to get it over with…lol.
- Making lunch and hopefully something that doesn’t require cooking…fruit and cheese plate, veggies, sandwiches, etc.
- Vegging out with Lily, maybe taking a nap or playing with toys together, crafting
- Back online to catch up on what everyone is up too and read news/blogs…more social media updates (Lily takes her alone playtime in her room by this point)
- More thinking about dinner…I never know in advance…lol.
- Cleaning up again, since I have a toddler…starting on dinner.
- Lily comes back out into the living room asking when dada is coming home…yep, it’s about that time.
- Dinner is ready…that’s my cue to start getting down to my real blogging work. I start editing posts for the next day, searching for images, fixing typos, brainstorming topics for new posts, writing up something for later in the week, responding to more emails.
- Hubby is home! We eat dinner and he gets a little veg time with us…watching a movie or something, then he is in charge of baby girl for the rest of the night…and when he’s ‘being a good boy‘ (Lily’s words…lol), he does her bath/lotion/pj/story/tickle time/bedtime routine.
- The house is dark…and the keys start clicking on my computer now that peace is here and the creative thoughts flow freely.
- Hopefully I’m in bed before the sun comes up…which is a more regular occurring now. But sometimes, my hubby wakes up giving me the crazy eye.
That basically sums it up…and then throw in trips to the store, the park, the zoo (6 blocks from our house), running errands, occassional date nights with hubby and phone or video calls to my family who lives twelve hours away. It’s busy, but probably familiar to many of you…especially if you’re a full-time blogger or entrepreneur of other sorts…and add to that being a full-time parent.