Salted Caramel Apple Bites
Anybody who knows me, knows that I love caramel!
From homemade caramel to cajeta, to goat’s milk candies sold at the local tienda, I’m absolutely obsessed.
It’s no wonder that Fall is my favorite season. It’s the season of pecan pie, caramel apples or warm apple pie a la mode with a drizzle of sweet caramel sauce.
I’m not really big on sweets, but anything with caramel is sure to be a winner in our house.
That’s why I just had to whip up a special caramel treat for our little ones to celebrate Fall and the holidays.
Today, I’m sharing a fun twist on a Fall favorite with these delicious, sweet and salty, caramel apple bites.
How to Make Your Own Caramel Sauce
For the caramel sauce, I kept it simple by melting some butter in a pan and wisking in a small amount of brown sugar to taste (you can also use piloncillo). For added flavor, you can also add a cinnamon stick to the mixture while wisking.
I chose to keep the caramel sauce light and translucent, but if you’re looking for some extra richness and creaminess, you can add a small amount of milk or heavy cream to your caramel mixture.
Applewood smoked bacon adds a great depth of flavor and saltiness to this recipe. Simply crisp it up in a pan, let it cool and then break into bite-sized pieces.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $17.63Was: $22.00
Price: $13.99Was: $16.99
Price: $21.88Was: $30.00
Price: Check on Amazon
Caramel Apple Bites with Crispy Bacon and Chile
To make this recipe extra special, I topped my warm, soft caramel apple bites with crispy bacon and a sprinkle of Tajín (or Mexican fruit seasoning). It adds just a touch of salty, spicy, tart goodness to these treats and coaxes out all of the delicious flavors of the fruit.
Top these delicious, warm apple chunnks with a drizzle of caramel sauce and a pinch of chile for the perfect Fall treat.
Salted Caramel Apple Bites
Yield 4 servings
These delicious, warm apple chunnks are drizzled with a light caramel sauce and a sprinkle of Tajín to create the perfect Fall treat.
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples
- 4 slices fo bacon
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1-2 tsp of brown sugar or piloncillo (to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Tajín or Mexican fruit seasoning to taste (optional)
- Cook strips of bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and leave to cool.
- Peel apples and cut into bite-sized chunks, about 1-2 inches in size.
- Melt butter in a sautee pan on medium-low heat. Add sugar and cinnamon stick (optional). Wisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Set heat to low and add apple chunks, turning on each side until warmed through.
- Remove from pan and place them in rows on a serving tray.
- Break bacon into bit size pieces and arrange on top of each apple chunk.
- Insert toothpicks and sprinkle with Tajín or Mexican fruit seasoning (optional).